Next message: Teminikmom@aol.com: "challenge question #1"
This was a fun question for the class to discuss. They were trying to
picture an eagle swooping down and picking up a fish or duck with its
beak. For some reason it wasn't the graceful picture you see on t.v.
where the eagle swoops down in slow motion and expertly grabs a fish
with its talons and continues flying without breaking stride. This
would be a great art lesson in cartooning.
1. The beak would be way too small to pick up fish or ducks.
2. The beak would not be strong enough.
3. Holding prey in their beak would get in the way of an eagle seeing
where it is going.
4. The legs and talons are designed for holding and they are much
stronger than the beak.
5. Balance while flying would be a problem if the eagle held prey in
Copyright 2001 Journey North. All Rights Reserved. Please send
all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form