Monarch Butterfly

Tulips

Today's News Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2001 Reports

From: Audrey Dempsey (adempsey@framingham.k12.ma.us)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 16:51:49 EDT

    Challenge Question #21

    Here is the answer to Challenge Question # 21 from Mrs. Dempsey's Second
    Grade Class, Charlotte Dunning School, Framingham, MA:

    2000/2001 29,770,000 monarchs per hectare
    1999/2000 77,610,000 ""
    1998/1999 67,730,000 " "
    1997/1998 41,340,000 " "
    1996/1997 232,310,000 " "
    1995/1996 162, 630,000 " "
    1994/1995 101,153,000 " "

    There were the most monarchs in 1996/97.

    There were the fewest in 2000/2001

    This year's butterflies have decreased compared to every other year sine
    1996/97.

    We are wondering if more monarchs die on the trip to Mexico and then
    there were not as many babies. Each year there are less and less and by
    next year there will probably be less again.

    They might have increased (from 1994-97) because there was more food.

    Wow! The teacher and the children learned a lot about large numbers
    using their calculators. We couldn't figure out what the e meant at
    first, but we decided some zeros were missing. We hope we did the
    calculations correctly. All the children figured the amount on their
    owns calculator and then compared it to the teacher's number on her
    calculator.

    Copyright 2001 Journey North. All Rights Reserved. Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form

    Today's News Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North