Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2004 Reports

From: Gayle McGehee (gmcgehee@d112.wayne.k12.il.us)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 14:21:16 EST

    Today at recess Mrs. McGehee's Room 12 Mighty Ducks we tried the paper clip test suggested in the Feb. 20 update. We have been studying measurement in class and knew that a paper clip weighed approxmiately 1 gram. So we decided a monarch must weight approximately 1 gram.

    We estimated that the branch would bend at numbers from 250 - 500 paper clips. At 310 paper clips the branch, which we considered a medium size branch began to bend. When Mrs. Mc Gehee lifted the paper clips up the branch went up so we proved that it was the weight of the paper clips pulling on the branch.

    Nikki was the closest estimate at 320 paper clips. We think it would be cool to see 310 monarchs on one branch at a time.

    We also are measuring the tulips every other day. They have grown 1/2 inch since last week, therefore we predict if they continue to grow at the same rate they will bloom the last week in March - just before our "spring" break.

    We are attaching some pictures of our JNorth recess projects today including measuring tulips and recounting the emerging sprouts (3 inches and 40+ sprouts), observing robins- which we "reported" (using binoculars), and experimenting with the paper clips.

    Mrs. McGehee made us "undo" our paper clip chains before returning the borrowed paperclips to the office. :)

    Our answer to challenge question #4 is:

    40kg or 88.2lbs / our classmate Jaclyn weighs about the same

    To calculate our answer we used information from a recent measurement lesson - after figuring the estimated weight of the butterflies we estimated the branch to weigh as much as ten "bunches of bananas" with one bunch equaling 1 kg that added 10 kg to our butterfly weight of 30 making our answer 40kg. Mrs. McGehee used a conversion chart to calculate the answer in pounds.

    Thanks for the challenges! Looking forward to an exciting spring.

    Room 12 Mighty Ducks

    THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE
    ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM
    DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR
    ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT
    ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS
    CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR,
    PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY (COLLECT) AT 618.684.8112, DELETE THE FILE FROM
    YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.

    Copyright 2004 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

    Today's News

    Spring's Journey North

    Report Your Sightings