All Wet (+O Miles)
November 30, 2010: Migration Day 52

See slideshow: Setting Up the Travel Pen

From camp comes wet news: "RAIN, RAIN and more RAIN is in store for the migration team today. We'll be standing down for the third day in Hardin County, TN." Meanwhile, the crew has set up the travel pen at the next stop: Franklin County, Alabama. See how it's done in our slideshow, Setting Up the Travel Pen. And if you're wondering about all the weather delays, don't miss Ultralight Pilot's Checklist: Weather or Not, in the b-for-bonus question below.

In the Classroom: Journal or Discussion

(a) Nine stops remain before arrival at St. Marks NWR for the cranes who will make that their winter home. Imagine a string of days with perfect conditions starting tomorrow. What's the soonest date the St. Marks group could arrive? The other half of the Class of 2010 will then migrate four flights farther to "Chass" NWR for their winter home. What's the soonest they could arrive? What's the single most important factor ruling this migration?

(b-for-bonus) Make a list of weather conditions the migration has encountered. Think about the risks each type of weather holds. Then check your thoughts with a pilot, here: Ultralight Pilot's Checklist: Weather or Not.

Invitation: Did you vote today in the Pepsi Refresh Project? Your vote helps Operation Migration!

Journey North is pleased to feature this educational adventure presented in cooperation with the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership (WCEP).