Today's News Fall's Journey South Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

From: Lee Ann Olsen (lolsen@groton.k12.ct.us)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 23:40:39 EDT

    Dear Journey North Monarch Protectors:
          Once again this year several northeastern states are spraying to kill
    mosquitoes carrying West Nile virus. My class and I are concerned that all
    of this spraying is affecting the monarch migration. Even though
    Connecticut has chosen not to spray, our neighboring states (New York,
    Rhode Island) have been spraying poison for weeks now. It is believed that
    the poisons are affecting the fish and crabs of Long Island sound so it is
    not unreasonable to assume that insects (including butterflies) are being
    affected as well. Last year this same scenario took place because of
    mosquitoes carrying encephalitis and I remember seeing many dead monarchs
    after an episode of spraying. There also were less butterflies in the
    sanctuaries last winter. I'm wondering if this might have been one of the
    reasons why. Mrs. Olsen's class, Mystic, CT

    "The best and most BEAUTIFUL things in the WORLD cannot be SEEN or even
    TOUCHED.
    They must be felt with the HEART.... Helen Keller

    Copyright 2000 Journey North. All Rights Reserved. Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form

    Today's News Fall's Journey South Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North