Today's News Fall's Journey South Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

From: Audrey Dempsey (adempsey@framingham.k12.ma.us)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 16:34:01 EDT

    September 29, 2000

    Mrs. Dempsey's Second Grade Class, Dunning Schoo, Framingham, Ma.
    Answer to Challenge Question # 8

    I usually send the answers to you just the as the children dictate them
    to me. This week the answers were more varied, so it is a little
    lengthy.

    The butterflies and moths overwinter in the following stages:

            chrysalis--it wraps the butterfly in a place where it is all
    covered up and warm like a microwave

            cocoon--because it wraps around a lot.

        caterpillar--because caterpillars have the ability to get in warm
    places like under the snow

        egg--because in the egg stage they are just laid and they can't
    hatch for quite a while

        adult--adults are stronger than a caterpillar because it can do more
    things than the caterpillar; it can fly in a hole in a tree

    Copyright 2000 Journey North. All Rights Reserved. Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form

    Today's News Fall's Journey South Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North