Today's News Fall's Journey South Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2002 Reports

From: by way of Elizabeth Howard Journey North (bpogoloff@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 09:02:36 EDT

    Bobby Pogoloff's second and third grade class in
    Crested Butte, Colorado is following the migration
    closely. We haven't seen many Monarchs because we are
    too high (9,00ft) for milkweed but many valleys just
    below us have it so we are very excited. We will be
    sending 60 monarchs to Mexico for the symbolic
    migration.

    We thought about how to explain the impossibilty of a
    baby monarch migrating and here are some of our
    answers.

    Elias F says " There is no such thing as a baby
    Monarch because when it comes out of it's case it is
    all grown."

    Jackson M, Ayla C, Marissa L and Cal F noticed that a
    baby monarch is a caterpillar and it would not be able
    to migrate very far on those short legs

    Olivia B, Morgan O., Billy F, Alex A, and Ali S
    noticed that a baby monarch has no wings so it is
    unable to fly.

    Mikayla sys there is no such thing as a baby monarch
    that can fly.

    We also came up with a few questions for you:

    How do the biologists put the tags on the butterflies?
    (Mikayla 2nd)

    Does the time it takes to tag the butterflies
    interfere with the time needed for such a long
    migration? Is it risky?(Jackson 3rd)

    How do you put so many words on such a tiny tag?
    (Cassidy 2nd)

    How big can a Monarch get?(Cheyne 3rd)

    Do biologist ever take butterflies inside to study
    them?(Sara 2nd)

    Why do Monarchs eat milkweed?(Morgan 2nd)

    http://sbc.yahoo.com

    Copyright 2002 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

    Today's News

    Fall's Journey South

    Report Your Sightings