Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2003 Reports

From: Linda Swentzel (LSwentzel@byramschools.k12.nj.us)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 15:30:51 EST

    Dear Journey North,

    Mrs. Swentzel's third grade class from Stanhope(Byram), NJ carefully looked
    at the three pictures of the butterflies and then read all of the
    information about the three predators. This has really fit in with our
    science well, since we study animals- predators and prey, with our animal
    unit. We decided that picture # 1 was eaten by the Black-headed Grosbeak,
    because the monarch's entire abdomen is missing in the picture. Picture #2
    was eaten by the Black-backed Oriole, because the monarch appears to have a
    portion of the body still there, but the insides are missing. In picture
    #3 was eaten by the Black-eared Mouse, because the picture appears to have
    only wings left on the ground. This is what is left behind when the
    Black-eared Mouse has attacked its prey.

    Copyright 2003 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

    Today's News

    Spring's Journey North

    Report Your Sightings