Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2003 Reports

From: Linda Swentzel (LSwentzel@byramschools.k12.nj.us)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 01:12:37 EST

    Dear Journey North,

    Mrs. Swentzel's third grade class from Stanhope (Byram), NJ has been
    working on the challenge question. We started to research where the two
    mountain ranges are located. Using our geography knowledge, we looked at
    our maps to locate the Adirondack Mountains and the Green Mountains. Then
    we took a large map and looked at the map scale. We took this scale for
    how many miles are represented by one inch. We then divided this into
    2,334 miles that was stated "as the crow flies" and found that it would be
    approx. 5.7 inches on our map. Which brought us to NY. Next, we talked
    about the Red Winged Black Birds and Robins. We compared them to our area
    in north western NJ. Since our Birds have been here for almost a month, we
    figured that they would be in the NY area by now. We also noticed an area
    of water that would draw the birds. The children feel that the valley area
    between these ranges is the basic area. "We think it is New York because it
    is getting to be 'springy' time, just like we are having here in NJ."

    Copyright 2003 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

    Today's News

    Spring's Journey North

    Report Your Sightings