Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2003 Reports

From: Linda Swentzel (LSwentzel@byramschools.k12.nj.us)
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 14:02:02 EDT

    Dear Journey North,

    Mrs. Swentzel's third grade class from Byram (Stanhope),NJ was really
    puzzled by this picture. It was very interesting and tough! We had many
    interesting ideas as to what this picture might be about. After talking it
    over and brainstorming, each student gave their best guess as to what they
    thought it might be. Most of the class thought it might be part of the
    antenna toward the tip. Then the rest of the class thought it might be the
    bottom of the feet, which would help them cling to the flowers.
    I even had one student who felt it might be a model of monarch butterfly
    DNA. This picture represented a very interesting discussion.

    Class poem:

    Pictures galore surprise us each year,
    Many unusual things are found out there,
    What do you See? What can you Hear?
    Who knows, but let share.
    Use your imagination an enter a world unknown-where:
    Pencils with big erasers sprout in jungles of rubberbands.
    While ear plugs multiply in their tangle of strings not hands.
    Weird alien mushrooms sprout among the deep dark grass.
    Where little snakes grow wrapping around in the weeds in a mass.
    Now tadpoles might live in a strange world of green algae soup.
    But they live in a world of green vines, like a little alien troop.
    Even little girls can see a strange world when looking up from their
    fathers' knee,
     From which they spy more-of a nose then they thought there would be.
    Spoons wrapped with spaghetti all around stand up and salute.
    Giving rise to a different kind of tribute.
    You might even find and pick mushrooms that have grown up through the old hay,
    To make mushrooms in soup with noodles to warm up the day.
    What a strange world we can see,
    When we're not looking just out for just you and me.
    Take a look close at hand,
    Oh My, it sure is grand!

    Written by Mrs. Swentzel's Third grade class

    The students used many nouns of things they know from food to animals in
    nature.
    They worked on rhyming and the use of their imagination as well as personal
    experience. We enjoyed this activity.

    Copyright 2003 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

    Today's News

    Spring's Journey North

    Report Your Sightings