Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2004 Reports

From: by way of Elizabeth Howard Journey North (bailey_a@mail.firn.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 09 2004 - 13:07:40 EST

    Several of my students answered this question:

    Bryan H. wrote:
    The temperatures were different than my prediction because mine were all higher than the other temperatures. My questions are: How can the butterflies live in that weather? Would they freeze in the weather if it was cold? How big so their wings get? How small do their wings get?

    Kaleigh's response was:
    It is different because the temperatures were all lower than mine because it was 80 and 52 and they are all lower like in the 60s and 30s. My questions are: Do the butterflies travel if it is cold? Do the butterflies travel at night? If it is hot will the butterflies fly for a long time and then stop and and take a little rest on a leaf?

    Sasha wrote:
    The temperatures were very different than my prediction because I had 85 high and 45 low and the highs were in the 60s and the lows were in the 30s. My questions are: How can the butterflies fly all the way over to Mexico without getting tired? Do the butterflies fly when it is cold? How many butterflies do you see? Do the butterflies fly when it is hot outside?

    Samantha H. writes:
    The temperatures were different because my high temperature is 87 and the real temperature is 64. I wasn't close at all. My low temperature is 38 and the real temperature is 36. I was really close. My questions are: How does the weather turn colder? How does the weather turn hotter? Do you see a lot of monarch butterflies?

    Miss Bailey's Third Grade Class
    Citrus Elementary School
    Vero Beach, FL

    Copyright 2004 Journey North. All Rights Reserved.
    Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to
    our feedback form

    Today's News

    Spring's Journey North

    Report Your Sightings