Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2005 Reports

Challenge Question #1

From: by way of Elizabeth Howard Journey North <NUNNALLYR@sau25.net>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 15:35:42 EST

rs. Nunnally's second grade class at Peter Woodbury School in Bedford, NH
found it interesting that the monarchs didn't have any flowers for nectar
to eat during the winter. We saw that monarchs need water and they can get
it from a stream. The monarchs use the trees for shelter, it helps protect
them from the wind and keeps them warm. We saw that the monarchs go to the
mountain tops in the small sanctuary region.

Questions we had:

* Do monarchs store food in their bodies?

* How much nectar can they drink at once?

* Do the butterflies get water to drink from the snow?

* Do the monarchs ever find shelter under overhanging rocks?

* Why do the monarchs go to that specific place in Mexico? Why
not another place? Isn't there another place that will be a
good habitat for the winter?