Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2006 Reports

Challenge Question #4

From: by way of Journey North <lthurber@anwsu.org>
Date: Tue Feb 28 2006 - 10:23:49 EST

Challenge Question #4
"Where do you think monarchs get the water they need to survive the dry
season in Mexico? How many sources of water can you imagine?" (In next
week's report you will find ways that are sure to surprise you!)

We think that monarchs could get water from the morning dew or from frost.
They could drink water from rivers, swamps, ponds, or puddles. We think they
would get some water from nectar from flowers. We wonder if they could also
drink tree sap. Some people might put out butterfly feeders for them. There
might be mud by the riverbanks that they could get some moisture.
We wonder if they don't need a lot of water to survive.

Grade Six Kids: Kyle, Lilly, and Megan
Ferrisburgh Central School
Ferrisburgh, VT