Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2006 Reports

Challenge Question #6

From: by way of Elizabeth Howard Journey North <lthurber@mac.com>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 10:50:33 EST

Challenge Question #6
"This year?s monarch population is estimated to cover 5.9 hectares. How many football fields would all of this year?s butterfly trees cover?"

First, we had to find out how many hectares are in a football field. We found the answer on http://www.gigfoot.net/faq/100.html. There it said that a football field is .4047 hectares.
Then, we divided the forest by the size of a football field. Our answer was 14.5787 football fields, or about 14 and a half football fields.

Erik, Jacob, Elan
Grade 3
Ferrisburgh Central School
Ferrisburgh, VT