Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2006 Reports

Challenge Question #5

From: by way of Elizabeth Howard Journey North <susamel@brounstein.com>
Date: Mon Mar 06 2006 - 11:04:38 EST

Challenge Question #5

We counted 628 butterfly trees in the photo. We had to make grids before we began. We were four students in a group. Each counted the same grid box and then we averaged the numbers. Next we multiplied by the number of grid boxes we had drawn. Since the class was divided into six groups, we added their results and divided by six to get the final number.

When estimating scientists must also divide the area into smaller chunks. Weather can make it difficult. The butterflies move around so the number is an estimate.

Iselin Middle School/7th grade
Period 2 class