Today's News Spring's Journey North Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2006 Reports

Challenge Question #2

From: by way of Journey North <lthurber@mac.com>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 15:18:05 EST

Challenge Question #2
"People burn more energy in cold temperatures, trying to keep warm. Can you explain why monarchs burn less energy in cold temperatures?"

The monarchs work harder in the summer so they use more energy then. They eat a lot then to store up energy. In the winter, they hibernate on the trees. When they hibernate, their bodies really show down. When they hibernate, they don't move at all, so they don't use much energy. We think that their heartbeat slows down. We also think that because there are so many of them together, they can keep warmer that way and the trees also give them shelter.

Erik, Elan, and Evan

Grade Three

Ferrisburgh Central School

Ferrisburgh, VT