Monarch Butterfly

Tulips

Today's News Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North

Note: These Challenge Questions coincide with the Spring 2000 Reports

From: Allison Bailey (bailey_a@popmail.firn.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 09:17:27 EST

    We looked up population information on the Internet to find states in
    which people could receive a butterfly from this winter's Sierra Chincua
    population. Our class has calculated the buttterfly population to be
    11,375,000.

    We live in Florida. According to the US Census Bureau, the estimated
    population of Florida is 15,111,244. That means if you gave everyone in
    Florida a butterfly, you'd run out before everybody got one. But still,
    75% of Floridians would get a butterfly.

    If we gave the butterflies to our neighboring states of Georgia and
    Alabama instead of the people in Florida, there would be almost enough
    butterflies for everyone. Georgia's population is 7,788,240 and
    Alabama's is 4,369,862 making a total of 12,158,102...pretty close to
    our calculation of the butterfly population.

    Miss Bailey's 2nd/3rd Grade Class
    Citrus Elementary School
    Vero Beach, FL

    Copyright 2000 Journey North. All Rights Reserved. Please send all questions, comments, and suggestions to our feedback form

    Today's News Report Your Sightings How to Use Journey North Search Journey North